I was listening to the radio this morning and they were asking "what makes you happy". I think they're trying to promote happiness in all this chaos. Well, needless to say, it got me thinking.
Here's an honest list of some of the things that truly make me happy:
- Sleeping in and waking up when I want to - without an alarm.
- Reading a really good book - without distractions - on the beach.
- Holding a sleeping baby.
- Getting a phone call from someone who "just wanted to say hello".
- Listening to my Mother tell stories about my childhood.
- Taking long walks - this helps me think.
- Giving gifts.
- Fresh flowers.
- Winning money at a casino.
- Seeing an elderly couple holding hands.
- Being loved.
- Making dinner and having people tell me it tasted really great.
- Decorating for Christmas.
- Buying things...I love to spend money.
It's the small things. The everyday occurrences that make me happy: telling the cashier I like her earrings; being told I have a nice smile; having someone smile at me just to make me smile.
I'm not trying to be all heady and philosophical...but - Do we sometimes overlook the small things because we're in a mood? Probably. Should we try to look for the small things or "stop to smell the roses"? Yeah. I'm going to try.
Eternal optimist I'm not. Totally not. I'm going to try to find something - each day, out of the ordinary - that makes me happy. Just anticipating this newfound happiness makes me smile.
What makes you happy?