Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Funny Thing HAPPENED...

I feel the urge to write a little note about my experience with FORUM at The Kav. The show finally (I say finally because of the extension) ended tonight. It was a great time and a wonderful experience complete with personality quibbles, misunderstandings, gossip and egos.

I mentioned to a few people how every show I do is a semi-life changing experience. I don't mean this in the "oh my god this play changed my life" sense but in a "it's amazing how such a little thing like being in a play can influence my life" sense. If you've ever been onstage you might understand what I'm talking about:

  • You get to spend time with people you would otherwise not spend time with.
  • You meet new people.
  • The cast and crew becomes a pseudo-family. (Spending 9-10 weeks together can do this.) There are matronly types, cool Uncle types, bitchy cousin types, arguing sister types, spousal-types, children-types. We all have to be together and through our spats...deal with each other - at least until the show closes.
  • You get to see (whether you really want to or not) many people near nude.
This is a small sampling. (And not a very good sampling.) Hopefully you'll just read this, roll your eyes, and say "Joey must be drunk again!" (I'm not...but you can say it.)

What I want to get across is my appreciation and adoration for everyone involved in the show. There aren't many productions I get teary-eyed about. Most of the time I'm ready for the show to close the day after it opens. I actually looked forward to coming to the theatre and putting on a play...really.

OK, this might be a half-assed way of saying THANK YOU but I mean it from the bottom of my heart. Let's all do it again sometime.

No comments: