Monday, October 02, 2006

My Corn Chowder Recipe.

It truly is one of my favorite things. I love me some good corn chowder. This recipe, albeit very tasty, was born out of a lack of ingredients. I really wanted to make chili...I was in the mood for it. However, I didn't have any ground beef, or tomato sauce, or beans, or chili spices. (I was pissed but also too lazy to go to Wegmans.) I was determined, nonetheless, to make a hearty stick-to-your-ribs soup. I reevaluated the contents in my pantry.

I had potatoes, canned corn, creamed corn, and chicken stock. I threw it all in a pot and it was rather tasty...not perfect...but tasty. I was determined to try again. And I did, the next day.

I went to Wegmans and strolled through the aisles. Thinking of what tastes good to me. I picked up a few things and tried again. This time I liked it a lot. And I haven't really deviated from this recipe since. It's very easy and rather inexpensive to make. (I've actually made this a relatively labor-free recipe, too.) If you're up for it, give it a try and let me know what you think.

Ingredients:

  • 4 cans, sliced new potatoes
  • 1 bag, frozen sweet corn
  • 2 cans, creamed corn
  • 1 jar, Nance's corn relish (this is key...find in the condiment section)
  • 1 small-medium onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp., butter
  • 1 package, Jimmy Dean's Spicy Sausage (optional but RECOMMENDED)
  • 16 oz., chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
  • 8 oz., heavy cream (milk will do, but this is much richer)
Directions:
  • In a large, soup pot (dutch oven), over med-high heat, melt butter and carmalize the onion.
  • In a separate pan, cook the sausage, drain. Add to the soup pot with the onions.
  • Coarsly chop (I do this right in the can) the potatoes. Drain.
  • Add ALL of the remaining ingredients, as listed, into the pot.
  • Heat through, completely, uncovered. This takes about 90 minutes or so.
  • Season to taste with salt.
I like it a LOT. This is perfect on a cold day. It takes almost NO time to prepare and I have been able to purchase all of these ingredients for about $10. It serves about 6 as a main dish...unless you're like me and eat the whole pot in a day or so. It reheats really well, too.

Mmm. Mmm. Good.

No comments: