Monday, July 16, 2007

Regular Joe vs. Diet Joe

I think I'm about to go on a diet. The sort of diet that makes one lose only belly fat. I sure hope there's a diet that can do that!

I know that I'm not fat and I know that there are lots of people reading this who think I don't need to lose any weight. (I don't really think I need to lose weight - I just want to lose my belly.)

Now...I already know what my problem is: in addition to my messed up intestines due to an over zealous doctor who prescribed horse tranquilizers following a very routine and simple surgery over two years ago, I've come to the healthy realization that I indulge in liquid libations far too frequently. I like Seagram's 7 and Seven-Up. I like it to a fault. I named my blog in honor of it. Need I say more?

I'm not suggesting that an occasional cocktail is verboten. I'm saying that I can't single-handedly keep the Seagram's people in business anymore. (Not to mention I don't even get stock options or complementary bottles for my support.)

Folks have told me that the trick is to reduce my caloric intake while increasing my calorie burning activities. I thought that was easily doable. However...they didn't mean for me only to drink (thus reducing my food calories) and walk to the liquor store twice a day (thereby increasing my exercise.) So I have to go back to the drawing board.

I have two very close friends who, after not touching alcohol for only one month, have lost over 10 lbs. each! They eat the same amount and maintain their normal level of physical activity.

I hope to follow in their footsteps. In the meantime, I'm drinking freshly brewed iced tea sweetened with Splenda and crossing my fingers in hopes that I'm on my way to a healthier lifestyle. Wish me luck!

No comments: