Monday, July 21, 2008

Deeeep...Breathhhh.

It has been two weeks since I've quit smoking. I am both shocked and proud that I've done it.

I wanted to share some of my symptoms from not smoking. They're not all good but I can't honestly say that any of them are awful.

  • I have a pink tongue again (those of you who smoke will know precisely what I mean.)
  • I have a new found interest in brushing my teeth.
  • I have a new found interest in Listerine mouth antiseptic.
  • I have a new found interest in teeth whitening products.
  • When I take a deep breath, I can actually FEEL the air expanding my lungs - it is a bit painful but in a very good way: like a rusty engine that gets an oil change...it feels so good!
  • My skin and hair have a healthy glow - not a smoky, filmy sheen.
  • I can actually laugh without coughing!
  • I don't have to sit on the porch in the rain...unless I absolutely want to get wet!
  • I can walk to the fourth floor of my building at work and not wheeze or pant. Although it's still not "easy" it's much easier than while I was smoking.
  • I don't wake myself up from coughing.
  • My fingers aren't yellow-tinged.
  • Et cetera, et cetera...
I'm happy. It still doesn't seem "normal" to me. That is one hurdle I'm going to have to overcome. I am anxious for the day when I don't THINK about cigarettes anymore. Although the challenges are becoming fewer and fewer, the urges remain. Well, that's partially untrue: I don't necessarily feel the URGE to smoke but, when I'm bored, I still want a cigarette. It is an URGE but definitely not a TEMPTATION. If I were going to sneak a smoke, I would definitely have the opportunity: I have friends at work who smoke (my assistant smokes), I have family members that smoke, I could always buy cigarettes again - I just don't WANT to smoke. That's the biggest difference.

I tell myself, "Self, this is the longest you've gone in nearly 15 years without smoking a cigarette. If you fall back on your promise to yourself, even once, you'll have to start at the very beginning." Well, I don't want to start at the very beginning - the very beginning SUCKED. I like that it's been two whole weeks without even so much as a PUFF! (By the way, Jamie is also smoke-free for two weeks! I am extremely proud of him! He's quit cold-turkey...without Chantix. His accomplishment is probably even bigger than mine. But I figure quitting is quitting regardless whether a cessation program is used or not.)

OK. I tend to ramble when I don't have a cigarette in my hand. I just wanted to gloat for a few minutes, that's all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Job well done so far Joe and Jamie. So proud of you; it isn't easy. Keep up the fight. Love, AH

Anonymous said...

You can totally do this and made it through the bad part. Those first two weeks are bad but it will only get better from here.

Some other little known tidbits that helped me quit: around 9 months, the oxygen levels increase in your blood reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and the big one for me, your lips will rarely be chapped. So funny that I did not care about dying but worried about the wrinkles!