Thursday, December 07, 2006

What's that, Hannibal?

From The Silence of the Lambs

  • "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver, with some fava beans and a nice chianti."
  • "Oh, and senator, just one more thing: Love your suit!"
  • "Brave Clarice. You will let me know when those lambs stop screaming, won't you?"
  • "I've no plans to call on you, Clarice. The world is more interesting with you in it."
  • "Closer, please. Clo-ser..."
  • "I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner."
From Hannibal
  • "On a similar note I must confess to you, I'm giving very serious thought... to eating your wife."
  • "Is this coincidence, or are you back on the case? If so, goody-goody."
  • "People don't always tell you what they are thinking. They just see to it that you don't advance in life."
  • "Bowels in or bowels out?"
  • "Mason Verger doesn't want to kill me any more than I want to kill him. He just wants to see me suffer in some unimaginable way. He is rather twisted, you know."
  • "Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her and find nourishment in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars of his plight and ache for him?"
  • "As your mother tells you, and my mother certainly told me, it is important, she always used to say, always to try new things."
From Red Dragon
  • [In a letter to Will] "What a collection of scars you have. Never forget who gave you the best of them, and be grateful, our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real. We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures of the curse of it, any rational society will either kill me or put me to some use. Do you dream much Will? I think of you often. Your old friend, Hannibal Lector."
  • "Remarkable boy. I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart."
  • "You will not persuade me with appeals to my intellectual vanity."
  • "A robin red-breast in a cage, puts all of Heaven in a rage. Think to yourself that every day is your last. The hour to which you do not look forward will come as a welcome surprise. As for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me in fine state... fat and sleek, a true hog of Epicurus's herd."
  • "Have you seen blood in the moonlight? It appears quite black."
  • "Ah yes. Dr. Chillton. Gruesome isn't he? Fumbles at your head like a freshman pulling at a panty girdle."
  • "Do you like my little exercise cage, Will? My so-called lawyer is always nagging Dr. Chilton for better accommodations. I don't know which is the greater fool."
  • "Tell me, Will. Did you enjoy it? Your first murder? Of course you did. And why shouldn't it feel good? It does to God. Why only last week in Texas, he dropped a church roof on the heads of 34 of his worshippers, just as they were groveling for him. He wouldn't begrudge you for one journalist."

No comments: